Updating Your Coursework – Academic Update
After your PharmCAS application has been initially verified, you may need to update your college course history to reflect newly completed or planned / in-progress courses. You can update your courses online during the PharmCAS “Academic Update” window.
You cannot make edits to your coursework section, other than during an Academic Update window. PharmCAS will contact you by email when an Academic Update is available to you. It is your responsibility to add any new courses completed since you first submitted your application to PharmCAS and to edit your in-progress and planned courses. PharmCAS will NOT update your coursework for you. You can only update your coursework ONCE during each Academic Update!
Courses that were originally reported as completed cannot be modified. Therefore, if you have received partial grades for a given session, do not add these courses to the completed courses section until ALL grades are received. You can NOT add prior year coursework on to the academic update.
The Fall Academic Update
The Fall Academic Update window will open on December 15, 2016, following the completion of the fall 2016 term, and close on February 17, 2017. Arrange for your official summer 2016 and fall 2016 transcripts to be sent directly to PharmCAS AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE. If you do not submit your updated courses and transcripts in a timely manner, your selected pharmacy degree programs may no longer consider you for admission.
How to Complete the Fall Academic Update
PharmCAS will not verify or report your updated course history to your designated pharmacy degree programs until you complete all of the steps below.
- Enter all of your newly completed courses for the Summer 2016 and Fall 2016 terms.
- select the button for Summer or Fall 2016 Planned/In Progress sessions.
- select the button under Update for each course in the session.
- enter the information for each completed course
- select the button after updating each course.
- Update your planned courses through June 2017.
- Click on the E-Submit Academic Update button at the bottom of the main PharmCAS application page to send your updated courses to PharmCAS.
- Arrange for your updated official transcripts to be sent directly from any colleges you attended in the summer and fall, if not previously submitted.
- Once these criteria are met, your application will be entered into the Academic Update verification queue. When your application reaches the head of the queue, PharmCAS will verify your updated course information against your updated transcripts and calculate a new set of GPAs. PharmCAS will then send your updated course history and revised GPAs to your designated pharmacy degree programs.
NOTE: If you do not submit your Academic Update to PharmCAS by February 17th, we will NOT be able to update your GPA calculations
The Spring Academic Update
You can update your Spring & Summer 2017 courses online during the PharmCAS Spring Academic Update window. The Spring Academic Update window will open on April 15, 2017, following the completion of the spring 2017 term, and close on June 30, 2017. Arrange for your official Spring 2016 and Summer 2016 transcripts to be sent DIRECTLY TO THE PHARMACY DEGREE PROGRAM(S) you have been accepted to AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE. If you do not submit your updated courses and transcripts in a timely manner, your selected pharmacy degree programs may no longer consider you for admission.
How to Complete the Spring Academic Update
PharmCAS will not report your updated course history to your designated pharmacy schools until you complete all of the steps below.
PharmCAS Instructions for the Fall 2017 Entering Class
- Enter all of your newly completed courses for Spring and Summer 2016 terms.
- select the button.
- select the button under Update for each course in the session.
- enter the information for each completed course
- select the button after updating each course to submit your updates to your designated degree programs.
- Arrange for your updated official transcripts to be sent directly from any colleges you attended in the spring and summer to the pharmacy school where you have been accepted – NOT to PharmCAS.
- The pharmacy degree program which has accepted you will verify your updated course information against your updated transcripts and calculate a new set of GPAs to confirm that you still meet their admissions requirements. PharmCAS does not verify these entries nor generate new GPAs. The Fall Academic Update will be submitted through PharmCAS, but the Spring Academic Update will not be submitted.
Reporting Grade Changes
If a grade changes on your transcript due to a correction at the registrar’s office, please follow these steps. (These instructions do NOT refer to newly completed summer or fall 2015 grades):
- Notify PharmCAS of the grade change via email. Include the following information in your message:
- Your full name
- PharmCAS ID number
- Name of institution issuing the grade change on transcript
- Course title
- Course prefix and number
- Session year and term for course (e.g., fall 2008)
- Original grade on transcript
- Revised/corrected grade on transcript
- Login to your PharmCAS application.
- Print a new PharmCAS Transcript Request Form for the institution issuing the grade change on the transcript
- On the form, circle YES next to “Grade Change”
- Submit the transcript request form to the registrar to arrange for a revised copy of your transcript to be sent to PharmCAS as soon as possible.
- Once received, PharmCAS will make the change to your course grade and GPA, and submit an updated application file to your designated degree programs.
Note: If the transcript with your grade change would be received by PharmCAS after June 24, 2017 you must contact PharmCAS before sending your transcript.
Q: What is Academic Update?
A: Academic Update is a window of time that allows you to update grades on any coursework completed since you originally e-submitted your application. You can only update the coursework section one time when the Academic Update is open. You are not allowed to update your course history at any other time during the admissions cycle. When the Academic Update window is opened, you can only add grades for courses taken during the summer and fall 2016 terms. You can NOT add courses taken in previous years.
Q: Who can take advantage of Academic Update?
A: You can begin the Academic Update only after PharmCAS has mailed your completed application to your designated pharmacy degree programs. The following steps must be completed before you can begin the Academic Update:
- You must e-submit your original application on or before February 1, 2017
- You must pay the PharmCAS fees in full,
- PharmCAS has verified your initial application to your designated pharmacy degree programs. Once your application has been verified, PharmCAS will notify you by email that you are ready to begin the Academic Update.
Q: How do I complete the Fall Academic Update?
A: If you are eligible for Academic Update, navigate to the “Coursework” section. Change any Planned/In Progress terms that now have grades to a Completed Session by clicking on the “Switch to Completed Session” button. Then enter the grade for each course. At this time, you may also enter any new Planned courses for the winter, spring, or summer 2016 terms. Once you are finished adding all of your new courses, you must go back to the Checklist window and click on the “E-Submit Academic Update” button. Remember to arrange for official fall transcripts to be sent directly to PharmCAS as soon as possible.
Once your application is updated and your fall transcripts are received, PharmCAS will verify and send your revised course history and GPAs to your designated pharmacy degree programs. Your updated GPAs will be available under the “Status” menu option of your PharmCAS application.
Q: Can I use Fall Academic Update More than once?
A: NO! You can only submit your Fall Academic Update coursework once. Make sure you have the complete results for your fall classes and carefully review the form before clicking on the “E-Submit Academic Update” button. If you do not click the “E-Submit Academic Update” button, your coursework and GPA will not be updated.
Q: What do I do if my fall grades are already entered as complete?
A: This means that your fall transcript arrived at PharmCAS before your application was mailed and the PharmCAS staff has already entered the data for you. There is no need for you to enter the grades again.
Q: Can I update courses that were already reported as completed?
A: No, courses that were originally reported as completed cannot be modified.
Q: When does the Fall Academic Update window open?
A: Academic Update is open from December 15, 2016 through February 17, 2017.
Q: What do I do with already entered “In Progress or Planned” courses?
A: Change any Planned/In Progress terms that now have grades to a Completed Session by clicking on the “Switch to Completed Session” button. Then enter the grade for each course. At this time, you may also enter any new Planned sessions for the winter, spring, or summer 2017 terms.
Q: What do I do if some fall grades have been entered but not all of them?
A: In this case, PharmCAS received a partial transcript and entered all the grades that were present. You will need to contact PharmCAS at email@example.com to arrange for PharmCAS to enter the remaining coursework for you.
Q: After I finish my Academic Update, when can my designated Pharmacy degree programs access the updated GPAs and coursework?
A: As soon as you e-submit your Fall Academic Update or Save your final change in the Spring Academic Update, PharmCAS gives your designated pharmacy schools real-time and secure access to your entire application on-line, including the UNVERIFIED courses you entered during the Academic Update.
Once PharmCAS receives your updated official transcripts, PharmCAS will verify your Fall courses and recalculate your PharmCAS GPAs. Your entire application file, including your newly VERIFIED courses and revised GPAs, are available to your designated pharmacy schools online immediately. Once you e-submit your Academic Update and your Fall transcripts arrive at PharmCAS, allow 4 to 6 weeks for PharmCAS to mail your revised application file to your designated pharmacy schools.
Q: Can I add coursework from prior year’s semesters and AP information during the academic update?
A: NO, you cannot add any prior year’s semesters or AP information during Academic Update. The Fall Academic Update is only intended for your completed Summer 2016 and Fall 2016 courses and planned in progress coursework. The Spring Academic Update is only intended for completed Winter, Spring, and Summer 2016 coursework and planned in progress coursework. If you have coursework taken prior to Summer 2016 that is not in your application, please contact PharmCAS so we may add the coursework for you.
Q: I plan to e-submit my application in January. Should I enter my Fall grades when I first e-submit my application or wait until the Fall Academic Update?
A: Most colleges and universities post fall term grades from late-December through mid-January. If you know your Fall term grades when you are ready to e-submit; enter the Fall courses in the Completed Coursework section. Arrange for your official transcripts to be sent as soon as your registrar confirms that the fall term grades are posted on them. Do not wait for the Fall Academic Update.
Q: Can I add new planned or taken PCAT test dates on my application during the Academic Update?
A: No, you cannot update or edit PCAT information on your application during Academic Update. You may arrange for your new PCAT scores to be sent to PharmCAS as soon as they are available. PharmCAS will add all PCAT scores that are received, even if you have not entered a particular test date in your application.