Q: What is the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service?
A: The American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP) recommends that all US pharmacy schools procure a national background check on you upon your initial, conditional acceptance to pharmacy school. The rationale for performing criminal background checks on accepted pharmacy school applicants is based on a number of issues, including 1) the need to enhance the safety and well-being of patients and, in so doing, to bolster the public’s continuing trust in the pharmacy profession, and 2) to ascertain the ability of accepted applicants to complete their pharmacy education and eventually become licensed pharmacists.
In support of this recommendation, AACP has initiated a PharmCAS-facilitated national background check service, through which Certiphi Screening, Inc. (a Vertical Screen® Company) will procure a national background report on applicants at the point of acceptance. AACP has initiated this new service in order to recognize the desire of pharmacy schools to procure appropriate national criminal history reports, and to prevent applicants from paying additional fees at each pharmacy school to which they are accepted.
Q: Which schools are participating in the Centralized Criminal Background Check (CBC) Service Program?
A: The below schools are participating:
- Albany College of Pharmacy
- Appalachian College of Pharmacy
- Auburn University
- Belmont University
- California Northstate University
- Campbell University
- Cedarville University
- Chicago State University
- Concordia University Wisconsin
- Creighton University
- D’Youville College
- Drake University
- Fairleigh Dickinson University
- Ferris State University
- Harding University
- Howard University
- Husson University
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Bradenton Campus
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Distance Education Pathway
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine – Erie Campus
- Long Island University
- Mercer University
- Midwestern University – Chicago Campus
- Midwestern University – Glendale Campus
- Notre Dame of Maryland University
- Oregon State University
- Pacific University Oregon
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Presbyterian College
- Purdue University
- Regis University School of Pharmacy
- Roosevelt University
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- Samford University
- Shenandoah University
- South College (TN)
- South University (GA)
- South University (SC)
- St. John Fisher College
- Temple University of the Commonwealth System of Higher Education
- The University of Louisiana at Monroe
- The University of New Mexico
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Thomas Jefferson University
- Touro College (NY)
- Union University
- University at Buffalo – SUNY
- University of California – San Diego
- University of California – San Francisco
- University of Charleston
- University of Cincinnati
- University of Colorado
- University of Connecticut
- University of Florida
- University of Georgia
- University of Iowa
- University of Kentucky
- University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- University of Michigan
- University of Nebraska Medical Center
- University of New England
- University of Saint Joseph
- University of South Florida
- University of Southern California
- University of Texas
- University of the Pacific
- University of Utah College of Pharmacy
- University of Washington
- University of Wisconsin
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Washington State University
- Wayne State University
- West Coast University
- West Virginia University
- Western New England University
- Wingate University
Q: If I designate a CBC School do I have to have a criminal background check?
A: Pharmacy schools may require criminal background checks and/or drug tests in order to verify and individual’s suitability to participate in experiential education rotations, to confirm a student’s eligibility for pharmacy licensure, and to ensure patient safety. If you designate at least one pharmacy school that is participating in the PharmCAS-facilitated national background check service, you will be required to submit to a national background report at the point of initial, conditional acceptance. Please note that the requesting school will be notified if consent is not provided, and that failure to provide consent may result in failing to meet the requesting school’s admissions requirements. Many pharmacy schools not participating in our new service during this year may also require applicants to undergo a separate national background check process. Contact your designated pharmacy schools directly for specific policies.
Q: If I designate a school NOT participating in the CBC Program do I have to have a criminal background check?
A: Many pharmacy schools not participating in our new service during this year may also require applicants to undergo a separate national background check process. Contact your designated pharmacy schools directly for specific policies.
Q: What does the background check include?
A: Below you will find a search by search description of each check to be facilitated by AACP, and conducted by AACP’s selected vendor, in support of the AACP centralized criminal background check solution. Note that all criminal history searches will be conducted in order to collect criminal history as follows. The reports that result from these searches will not include criminal history in which the applicant: 1) was adjudicated as a juvenile, as reflected in public record; and 2) criminal matters with the following dispositions Judgment set aside, Deferred prosecution, Pre-trial Diversion, Pre-trial intervention, Acquitted, Dead docket, Discharged, Dismissed, Dropped and abandoned, Innocent, No Billed, No information filed, Nolle prosequi, STET Docket, Stricken off docket – with leave to reinstate, Warrant returned unserved, and Withdrawn.
- Social Security Number Search
- A search of credit report header data to help confirm the applicant’s identifying information such as name, aliases, address(es), Social Security Number and to determine areas of prior residence.
- County Criminal Records Searches
- A direct search of county courthouse records for any felony or misdemeanor criminal history. All records are researched to help ensure positive identification and complete, easy-to-read details.
- Statewide Criminal Records Search
- A search conducted through statewide criminal records repositories or court systems for any felony or misdemeanor criminal history.
- Federal Criminal Records Search
- A direct search of federal courthouse records for any felony or misdemeanor criminal history. All records are researched to help ensure positive identification and complete, easy-to-read details.
- National Criminal Database Search
- This search is an instant, multi-jurisdiction private database search covering more than 194 million criminal records collected from across the country. All database “hits” are verified directly through the source of information to ensure that records reported are current and up-to-date.
- National Sexual Offender Database Search
- A search of a national private database which contains sex offender data collected from across the country. All records are researched to help ensure positive identification.
- US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General List of Excluded Individuals/Entities Search
- A search of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE), a database which provides information to the public, health care providers, patients, and others relating to parties excluded from participation in the Medicare, Medicaid, and all Federal health care programs.
- Search for Dishonorable Discharge from the Armed Forces
- Military records are verified through either telephone interviews with the subject’s former commander or by obtaining the applicant’s DD-214 form. Verification generally includes subject’s name, Service Number, rank, dates of service, awards and decorations, and place of entrance and separation.
- International Screening
- International criminal records searches are performed where applicable.
- SanctionsBase Screening
- A search covering sanctions, disciplinary and administrative actions taken by hundreds of federal and state healthcare regulatory authorities, including FDA, NIH, GSA, OFAC, terrorist watch lists and more.
Q: What is the background check process?
A: Upon your initial, conditional acceptance by a participating pharmacy school, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will send an email to the preferred email address you entered in your PharmCAS application. This email will provide you with access to a secure, online form via which you will provide basic identifying information and consent for this report to be procured. Your consent will serve for all pharmacy schools, and you will not be asked to provide consent upon receiving additional, conditional acceptance offers by participating pharmacy schools.
Once you have provided consent, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will procure a national background check on you (Background Check Details).Once the report is complete, Certiphi Screening, Inc. will send an email to your preferred email address requesting that you review the report prior to its distribution. Upon receiving this email:
- You will have ten (10) calendar days from the date this email is sent to review your report prior to this report being made available to the participating pharmacy schools who request this report. If you do not review this report, the report will be distributed after this period elapses.
- You will be provided with an opportunity to contest the accuracy of the contents of the report within the specified ten (10) calendar day period.
Once you have reviewed and released this report, or after the specified ten (10) calendar day period has elapsed, the report procured on you will be made available to the participating pharmacy school who offered an acceptance and initiated the request for this report.
The report procured during this process will not be released to any party other than the pharmacy schools requesting this report.